14 January 2006

Brokeback Mountain

What can I say about Brokeback Mountain that hasn't already been said. Did I like the movie, yes, it was one of the better ones that I have seen, but by no means is this a great film. For all the hype I must say, I was a little let down. I was looking forward to this movie, after I heard how good Heath Ledger was in it, but I for one didn't find his portrayal to be that great, half the time I couldn't even understand what he was saying. Jake Gyllenhaal on the other hand was amazing, he seems to be picking really good movies to make, including this film and Jarhead, and yet the press isn't talking about him that much.

Maybe the fact that I am not a fan of Ang Lee (director) has something to do with it. After all this is the man who gave us The Hulk. The film wasn't awful, but it wasn't filmed the greatest. Don't get me wrong there are some good shots in it, for example (this scene was in the trailer) when Heath Ledger's character is standing and the fireworks are going off behind him after he just got into a fight, the upward angle made the shot look even better. The final shot of the film was also very nice a good way to end the movie.

Don't get me wrong this was a good movie, but out of all the films that I have seen this year Munich was the best, and in my opinion deserves more recognition and awards.

No comments: