30 January 2006

SAGs in Review

So I of coursed watch the SAG Awards last night, and they were pretty interesting. I like the SAGs because they aren’t as structured as the other award shows, or so it seems. Plus I was very excited by some of the winners, especially Crash, the other award shows completely forgot about that movie it seemed, with just a few other nominations for the other award shows. I also liked the fact that Brokeback Mountain didn’t win any awards, because I think the other nominees deserved it more. Philip Seymour Hoffman deserved the award so much, and I think he’s going to get the Oscar also. I was happy to see Paul Giamatti win for Cinderella Man, because he doesn’t get as much credit as he deserves. Although I love Don Cheadle so I wish he could have won also, but at least he got one for Ensemble Cast in a Motion Picture. I think most of the winners deserved their awards, including Keifer Sutherland for 24, which is an amazing show in which he is fantastic in, Sandra Oh for Grey Anatomy, Lost for Ensemble television and Sean Hayes for Will & Grace. Sean Hayes’ and S. Epatha Merkerson’s speeches were both very nice and I was glad to see them win, especially Hayes since this in the last season of W&G. The highlight of the night was when Shirley Temple Black received a Lifetime Achievement Award; I didn’t know about half of the amazing things that she did, including being an ambassador. Dakota Fanning talked about Temple-Black’s career, and then Jamie Lee Curtis (who tripped very gracefully on the way out) presented her with the award. I only wish that Arrested Development would have won for Ensemble Cast comedy, because I love that show, and since Fox cancelled it, it would have been good to see them win, over Desperate Housewives. I also enjoyed the memorable moment from last year, when Jamie Foxx was trying to showcase Ray and was having a hard time get through his lines. The one thing that was very interesting was that Brokeback Mountain walked away empty handed, how will this affect the Academy Awards. Its going to see in the upcoming weeks how the other award shows play out, including the Academy Awards, the BAFTA's, and the Independent Spirit Awards.

No comments: