19 June 2008

Recap - AFI: 10 Top 10

Well of the 100 films I have seen 54 of them. Of the 10 Number 1 films, I have watched 6 of them. Some of the films that made the list are my favorite films. I really thought that the number of films that I have seen would be higher, but I didn't see a lot of the romantic comedies and I didn't see any of the western films except for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. 

One of the big omissions on the list would have to be that the Magnificent Seven didn't make the Top 10 Western films. Another one that I was surprised wasn't on the list was How The West Was Won. That could have easily fit into the western category or in the epic one. I thought it was weird that Gone With the Wind was only number 4 on the list. When I think of the that film, I think of an epic production, and I think that should have been either 1 or 2.

The list had a lot of actors and directors with multiple films, some in the same genre and others crossing genres. Alfred Hitchcock had 4 films in the Mystery genre. The animation list was dominated by Disney films, with only one of them not being a Disney production (Shrek was the only non-Disney film; also two of the films were Disney-Pixar productions.)

Steven Speilberg had 3 films make the list, E.T. in the Fantasy genre and Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List in the Epic category. Stanley Kubrick also had 3 films on the list. 2001: A Space Odyssey and A Clockwork Orange in the Sci-Fi genre and Spartacus on the Epic list.

Martin Scorsese was also in two categories with Raging Bull in Sports and Goodfellas in the Gangster genre. 

James Stewart had films in 4 different genres: It's A Wonderful Life and Harvey in the Fantasy category; in Mystery Rear Window and Vertigo; A Philadelphia Story in Romantic comedy; and Anatomy Of A Murder in Courtroom Drama.

Tom Hanks was also in four different genres: Toy Story in Animation; Big in Fantasy; Saving Private Ryan in Epic; and Sleepless In Seattle in Romantic Comedy.

Two silent films made the list, City Lights in the Romantic Comedy category and The Thief Of Bagdad in the Fantasy category. The only film from the 21st century to make the list, was Finding Nemo.

It was an interesting show, and it certainly brings up a lot of discussion about errors and omissions on the list. Also it made me reminisce about the films, and think about what they mean to me, and how the films impacted me life. A lot of my favorites made the list, and they are films that I can watch over and over again.

No comments: